You may remember my first attempt at creating red velvet shortbread and that I expressed a desire to incorporate cream cheese. Well, over Christmas I went with it and updated my recipe to incorporate a cream cheese icing. I have also added extra flour and cocoa to make the dough more workable. See the update below.
Red Velvet Shortbread
Ingredients (two trays worth ~15 biscuits)
- 350g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 baking powder
- 250g butter
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- Red food colouring
You can find the method by following the link above. Simply replace the white chocolate with the cream cheese icing.
Cream Cheese Icing
- 120g cream cheese
- 60g butter
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- Vanilla bean (fresh, if desired)
- Remove vanilla from the bean by slitting down the middle and running the flat edge of your knife along the length.
- Soften or cut your butter into small cubes to assist with ease of mixing
- Mix together the vanilla, cream cheese and butter, using an electric mixing or by hand until combined.
- Thoroughly sift icing sugar before adding to the cream cheese and butter mix.
- Put into piping bag and decorate the biscuits as desired.
This recipe will make a large amount of frosting and made about double what I needed for my two trays worth of biscuits. But I wanted to ice them decoratively as opposed to thorough, and using only a decorative amount doesn’t give as good a cream cheese flavour as icing completely would. I also chose to add christmassy red and green M&M’s but you could essentially decorate with whatever you like.
I’m quite happy with how these turned out, and they all got eaten on christmas day so I’d say it’s a success!